This workshop will offer practical advice for those who want to have bees and for those who had bees and want to start again.
Our approach to beekeeping honors the true nature of the honeybee and supports her health and vitality above all else. In understanding the basis for honeybee health, you will come away with the basic framework and knowledge for making decisions on your own as a beekeeper. This workshop covers what you need to know for your first steps in keeping bees, including:
- The honey bee in our times: a brief review of honeybee history
- Introduction to different hive types
- Important tools and equipment
- Components of a colony and their function within the hive
- Guidance for the first steps in beekeeping, troubleshooting
Location: This class will start upstairs at The Floyd Country Store and will end at the Honeybee Sanctuary.